I am ready for NaNoWriMo
Only a few days away now – I am feeling confident and like a runner on the starting block.
I have my story already being formed in my mind and on a few pages already – is that cheating? I have already written 3500 words but I can’t help myself. I have been wanting to write this story for years and I have tried on a few occasions but I guess I didn’t have the story clear enough and the plot was pretty fuzzy.
I have a couple of tips:
Join a writing group – preferably one in the genre that you are interested in. I joined the Calgary Crime Writer’s Meet-up. It is great group of women and men who all have varying career skills and interests, and I have found some life-long best friends in the group. I have learned some writing skills in this group that have definitely given me an edge this time around for NaNoWriMo. It may be too late now to benefit from the writing group for NaNoWriMo, but by this time next year you could be working on your second novel!
Find a writing buddy – I didn’t have a writing buddy last time I tried NaNoWriMo in 2009, but I have teamed up with a friend from the Crime Writer’s group now and we can give each other pep talks or discuss our stories. It so much more difficult (I think) to work completely alone with no one to bounce ideas off of.
- Gearing Up for NaNoWriMo (rachelleharp.com)
- Hey, Writers! NaNoWriMo is Back (hcplteenscene.org)
- NaNoWriMo – Embrace the Icky Sticky! (daboxill.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo Prep: getting to know your characters (lemoncity.wordpress.com)
- It’s NaNoWriMo time again – who’s in or chickening out, bwark? (zebedeerox.com)
- Even if You’re not Doing NaNoWriMo: A Challenge (tammyjrizzo.wordpress.com)
- Words Come Ezine (wordscomeezine.wordpress.com)